Re: Mary Gentle [was Re: The Armageddon Rag]

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 09:16:31 PDT

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Bill Humphries wrote:
> It's _Ash: Or the Secret History_ by Mary Gentle. It's published as four
> volumes here in the states. I got mine from the UK where it's a mammoth,
> single-volume, trade paperback.
>
> I also recommend her _Rats and Gargoyles_, which is another fun filled romp
> through a world where the elder gods have decided to put the smackdown on
> humanity. Oh, and there's five, yes five, compass directions.

While we're at it, I'll assume she also wrote "Grunts" some years back.
This book is *not* recommended, unless you're a grade-A tolkein fan who
has spent years reading fantasy fiction. In which case, it's a real
blast of a spoof that is packed with military movie references and
in-jokes. Otherwise, it's tripe.

That said, I own a copy.

        JTS