Re: The Armageddon Rag

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 17:08:22 PDT

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net wrote:
> Well, conversely, from some points of view, the human race is a cancer to
> the earth.

Some points of view suck. "Thanks for handing over your car keys and
money. Here's your free copy of Earth in the Balance, your table is over
there with Gore."

> We're shitting where we sleep, which is
> something all the rest of the animals know instinctively not to do.

...except hamsters. Most rodents in fact. And a lot of other animals
besides. We're dominant, no predators, and the dominant species tends to
futz up it's environment pretty good if left unchecked, regardless of the
animal, when it runs out of room. See: grazers in small pastures.

> glad that you have a more positive view of the human race and its
> capability to adapt to its ever-decreasing supply of o2, and its
> ever-increasing supplies of toxins that we create, but I cannot share that
> with you.

Okay.

> there are no such power trips involved

There are always power trips involved.

> But my point with the post was really this: Someone mentioned signs of
> the end times or whatever. What I was trying to do was ask the question:
> Does believing that there will be an 'end' cause it to happen? What if
> there were no "signs" or prophecies predicting the end? Some folks, like
> yourself <?> may not believe that such a thing will happen, but the
> numbers are against you. Will the belief that this will happen propel it
> to?

Not if we can find some equally mythical way to fix it that involves
emplying another boatload of COBOL programmers. Chants and incantations.

        JTS