Re: Gates indicted for hacking into JPL :-)

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 15:36:24 PDT

B.K. DeLong writes:
> At 12:05 PM 10/11/2000 +0530, you wrote:
> >How difficult can it be to hack up a system that automatically computes
> >md5 digests for each story as it is posted by an authorised user, and then
> >recomputes it every X hours, comparing against an offline database ? Can I
> >nominate this for stupid FoRK idea of the day ? Where's my funding ?

What's wrong with implementing a webserver in hardware, and serve from
write-protected flash? You can update content by reflashing your
server, and then switching via a failover, by pulling the currently
active server offline.

Alternatively, a md5sum-spider-remotely triggerable watchdog resetting
an Apache ran off a *nix booted from write-protected flash serving
pages from a write-protected hard drive (I think I've seen some where
you could write-protect them with a jumper) should be virtually
nondefaceable.