Re: [Traffick.com] Why the Open Directory Isn't Open...

From: Justin Mason (jm@jmason.org)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 04:20:40 PDT

Adam Rifkin said:

> · Lack of representativeness and lack of transparency. Unlike the
> federal bureaucracy in a democratic nation, you don't precisely know what
> the criteria for acceptance are. Criteria for progress through the ranks is
> similarly unknown. The Open Directory's procedures for accepting new
> editors or accepting site submissions are no more open or transparent than
> they are at private companies like Yahoo or Looksmart.

Yeesh -- sour grapes galore!! Transparency in dmoz is leagues ahead of
that for Yahoo!'s directory, for obvious reasons...

There's another (IMHO more important) reason why the Open Directory is
called "open" -- because of their license: http://dmoz.org/license.html .
After the CDDB and IMDB debacles, that's enough of a reason for me to
support it...

--j.