[Future Fckedcompany?] Another $125 million for Tellme...

From: Adam Rifkin (Adam@KnowNow.Com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 17:02:53 PDT

Ugh, Tellme extensions. #1 on the list is a Magic Eight Ball:

    http://studio.tellme.com/mystudio/showdirectory.cgi

I think my favorite "Tellme extension" is #12 on the list: Type 03070 to
hear Tellme say, "U suck!!!"

At #15, *another* "Magic Eight Call":

    http://www.colloquial.com/VoiceXML/EightCall/

What the heck is #23, "Test of Greatness"?

    http://studio.tellme.com/mystudio/showdirectory.cgi?page=2

Ohmigosh #28 is ALSO a magic eight ball. Geez. 3 applications out of 44
are magic eight balls.

#30 is "dial-a-buoy"....

#31 --another fricking buoy service... but with something for my homies
nowhere near water...

#44 is wrestling. There *had* to be wrestling.

> Hi, I'm Titan. If you like the World Wrestling Federation, then
> listen to this report! Just dial WWFNR (99367) and you're set!

Rohit says I should cut-n-paste the whole list (included at the end of this
post). Power of platform, eh? Ugh, time to pour another eighth of a unit
down this rathole...

     http://www.tellme.com/about/releases/001003.html

Tellme Extends Network to Connect Business With Consumers Over the Telephone
Landmark $125MM Financing Fuels Vision to Transform Telecommunications
Brings Total Funding to Nearly Quarter Billion Dollars From Blue Chip Investors

Mountain View, CA – October 3, 2000 – Tellme Networks, Inc. today announced
new services to help businesses build, run, and promote voice-activated
phone applications on Tellme’s VoiceXML network to interact with customers
over the telephone more efficiently than ever before. Businesses can now
take advantage of Tellme’s proven expertise to build and run their phone
applications on Tellme’s carrier-grade network capable of answering
hundreds of millions of calls annually. In addition, Tellme lets businesses
promote their applications to millions of people through their own phone
number or by buying placement in the Tellme directory at 1-800-555-TELL,
giving callers a growing selection of applications they can reach every day.

To accelerate the global build-out of its network, Tellme has raised nearly
a quarter of a billion dollars to date. Today’s $125 million in financing
comes from premier institutional investors Attractor, Amerindo Investment
Advisors, Bowman Capital, Essex Investment Management, Ignition, Van
Wagoner, and others including original investors Benchmark Capital, Kleiner
Perkins Caufield & Byers, and The Barksdale Group.

“Today’s announcement completes the vision for Tellme: we want to use the
Internet to fundamentally improve how people place phone calls and how
businesses answer those calls,” said Mike McCue, Chairman and CEO of
Tellme. “We’ve been blown away by the size of this opportunity and now we
have the resources to fully execute on it.”

Tellme combines the power of the Internet and the ubiquity of the telephone
to connect people and businesses more conveniently and more efficiently
than ever before. Now businesses can use Tellme’s services to:

· Build Phone Applications That Delight Callers
Businesses and developers can take advantage of Tellme’s proven expertise
and Internet based platform to build powerful voice-activated phone
applications with the same quality and usability as those found on
1-800-555-TELL. Developers can visit http://studio.tellme.com to:

· Easily build and test their applications for free

· Get up and running quickly with documentation, templates, sample
applications, and support newsgroups

· Contract professional services from Tellme and its partners for
voice user interface development, audio recording, and recognition tuning

· Run On Tellme’s Carrier-Grade Network
The Tellme VoiceXML network lets businesses outsource all infrastructure
required to answer a phone number with a voice-activated phone application.
Businesses can pay on a per minute basis rather than making the large
upfront investment required to build and operate their own infrastructure.
The Tellme network lets businesses:

· Answer any phone number with a voice-activated phone application

· Monitor and control usage of the application over the network

· Handle hundreds of millions of calls annually with carrier-grade
reliability

· Add capacity for tens of millions of additional calls within hours

· Promote To Millions Of Callers
Introduced on July 24th, the Tellme directory gives anyone a simple and
convenient way to reach the businesses, people, and information they need
everyday by calling 1-800-555-TELL for free and using simple spoken
commands like "Restaurants", "Taxis", and "Stock Quotes". Businesses have
the option to tap into the millions of calls to the Tellme directory through:

· Brief promotional messages that are actionable and relevant for the
caller

· Sponsorship of parts of the directory like restaurants or hotels

· Keyword placement to make an application an integral part of the
directory

About Tellme

Tellme combines the power of the Internet and the ubiquity of the telephone
to connect people and businesses more conveniently and efficiently than
ever before. Businesses can answer their phones with voice-activated
applications built and run on the Tellme network and promoted in the Tellme
directory. Millions of callers use the Tellme directory to connect with
these businesses, other people, and the information they need everyday by
dialing 1-800-555-TELL for free and speaking a keyword like “Restaurants”
or “Taxi”. Tellme is headquartered in Mountain View, California.
For more information, visit www.tellme.com.

Complete Tellme Extension list as of 10/10/2000

11111 1
the swank daddy Magic 8 Ball...it's all about the audio.
76255 2
The classic game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.
36245 3
Check your email from your phone! You must first go to the registration
page and tell it who you are. Then you can check your email by punching in
extension 36245 (which spells EMAIL).
23456 4
Yellow Pages Directory (alpha version - Release 1.5)
Find any business in the United States...
It's better than 411 because it's FREE!
To send any comments, suggestions or bugs email us at:
rashad_moore@hotmail.com.
16666 5
SpeechSmuggler: the exciting game of inter-borough trading. Based on
DopeWars for Windows and Palm OS.
75844 6
Play the classic game of Adventure. Just dial in PLUGH when prompted for
the extension number.
04392 7
HexaDude's Crystal Ball is a variation of the 8 Ball, but it's much better!
If you visit it, remember to say "exit" or "quit" when you're done so you
can use other great Tellme services. The Crystal Ball was originally a VB
program also made by me. www.hexadude.com
44628 8
Take One and Tellme in the Morning
Listen to the tunes and mixes brought to you by renegade Tellmes.
11160 9
The largest database of consumer gasoline prices on the planet. GasHawk
(http://www.gashawk.com) allows you to quickly pinpoint the cheapest gas in
your city (U.S. / Canada). You can even bookmark stations along your drive
to work for quick retrieval.
19372 10
Welcome Message with Voice User Interface. Rapid deployment plans include,
HTTP Post/Get Methods, Searching dBase using either voice or user input
with push technology to Internet browser.
22766 11
Let's you buy things, maby not sane things though....
03070 12
U suck!!!
85367 13
WirelessDevNet.com's Tellme Studio Example. Includes the latest wireless
industry news headlines, updates to WirelessDevNet, and a simple wireless
industry company index.
45556 14
sports--concerts--trivia
This app gives schedule and ticket info for sports (nfl,nhl,nba,mlb,ncaa),
and concerts across the U.S. and parts of Canada. Also, check out olympic
trivia
*I'll try to keep my server up reliably between 7:00pm-11:00pm PST Mon-Fri
but you can try anytime outside of this.
94041 15
Show current bid and # of bids on EBAY auctions. This simple application is
very easy to use-- just say or punch in your 9-digit auction ID of your
favorite item on EBAY, the app will read out the current bid and # of bids
to you. Enjoy! Any questions? Email me
80222 16
The Magic Eight Call reaches into the future to find answers to your questions.
19991 17
A store where you pretend buy poop and other poop related items. Remember
you can't really buy these.
37465 18
Got drink? Dial D-R-I-N-K in extensions for a random drink recipe.
Searching coming soon.
25277 19
The Classifieds Voice-site (class=25277) refers to lots of various
interests. The site is only currently a 'beta version'. Will be updating
with many more user friendly options very soon. Interested to develop a
partnering relationship ?? email me ky4223611@yahoo.com
87246 20
Caltrain Schedule
18283 21
Poems and Songs by David Savage
Listen to 22 short poems and brief excerpts of 11 songs written and
recorded by David Savage of http://www.savageheart.com/.
23105 22
weather news and info you need!! coming soon!!!
98899 23
Testbed of greatness
11235 24
States and their capitals -- get quizzed on what states have what capitals.
38246 25
Ross Fubini's home
22247 26
San Francisco Bay Area CHP (BACHP) traffic incident log gateway. Provides
the list of CHP reported incidents for a given Bay Area highway.
27114 27
Initial implementation of Zonal Tech voice extensions
58664 28
Magic Eight Ball using Text To Speech
51975 29
This is a program that will convert your currency. Learn how much your
money is worth in Algeria, Panama, Zaire, or anywhere on the planet.
26278 30
Dial-a-buoy. Extension C-O-A-S-T. This application reports back live buoy
information from the National Data Buoy center for California moored buoys.
You can retrieve marine weather conditions for popular west coast areas by
saying the name. Saying 'help' gives you a list of available areas.
89663 31
Yo surfers! Get current wave and weather data from any of 41 buoys moored
across the Pacific Ocean. And for the lawyers in the house. You can
retrieve current statute history data for Tennessee and Oklahoma.
29080 32
Developers - Everything you need to setup a Tellme Database application in
minutes using Microsoft technologies. See Demo site and Source Code for
details.
77625 33
parenting, child health
31231 34
BoomGames.com news
00600 35
SBC Technical Support Agent
26878 36
Volleyball League Schedule Example of getting schedule info for a sports
league via Tellme Extensions.
37235 37
A four-minute description of Mark Pesce's "The Playful World: How
Technology is Transforming Our Imagination", now available from Ballantine
Books.
13819 38
Test Tribe info.
94150 39
Sooil Kim's Homepage
21201 40
Playstation mod chips and game enhanchers. Plus back-up disks are also avail.
91960 41
test
52251 42
Jack's completely safe computer tips are always useful when you want to
tweak your computer's performance and improve its ability to work for you.
Just remember to punch in Jack one or 5 2 2 5 1 under the TellMe
extensions. Hope you have fun tweaking your computer!!
52145 43
I love this guys
99367 44
Hi, I'm Titan. If you like the World Wrestling Federation, then listen to
this report! Just dial WWFNR (99367) and you're set! When you are done
listening, just say "Tellme Menu". Go to the site for more information

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Part of being a developer is commitment. This isn't a wishy-washy concept. If it hurts your stomach to think of what you would lose if you gave up, you have commitment. -- Dave Winer, http://scriptingnews.userland.com/backissues/2000/09/18#whatIsADeveloper