RE: [Kudlow] In Praise of Economic Freedom.

Hokkun Pang (hpang@flycast.com)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 01:19:24 -0800

I think the Economist conveniently renamed 'colonialization' with 'economic
growth' as the main engine of progress for the past 500 years. In the case
of China, the so-called social values all existed in various periods. In
fact, ancient Chinese probably enjoyed far more economic and religious
freedom than the modern Chinese. But China as a country rarely expanded
beyond the mainland. The reason was very simple: China is naturally bounded
by Siberia in the north, Pacific ocean in the east and south and mountain
and desert in the west. All these regions were not suitable for
colonialization. Moreover, when governed properly, the China mainland had
enough natural resources to support a nice standard of living for an
agricultural society. China didn't need anything from her neighbors. On the
other hand, the Europeans had everything to gain from trading. The balance
of power in Europe made it hard for one country to unify the whole
continent. Colonialization was an easier option to fullfil the greeds of the
elite class.

I'm not here to denouce colonialism or greed. I do believe greed is good.
Without greed as the motive, there would hardly be any progress in
technology. As the Nasdaq shown, greed will continue to be the driving force
for innovations for the years to come.