Re: Cool URIs & MIME Types

Martin J. Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:53:40 +0900

At 09:49 99/12/28 -0800, Dan Kohn wrote:
> Tim, I was extremely impressed with your essay
> <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI> about architecting permanent URIs,
> however I think you need to be clear that by removing the file extension,
> you are implicitly suggesting segregating MIME types by directory. If you
> think every URI should be it's own directory (not a completely crazy
> suggestion), it would be worth making the suggestion explicit.

Hello Dan,

I think you confused something. Leaving out the extension
is not the same as using a directory.

For example, you can have
mydocument.html
and
mydocument.pdf
as files, and serve them both for
.../mydocument
choosing the right one depending on content negotiation.

Regards, Martin.

#-#-# Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-# mailto:duerst@w3.org http://www.w3.org