Re: Another stupid patent...

Chris Olds (cco@dydax.com)
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:16:40 -0800

Eugene Leitl wrote:
> Chris Olds writes:
>
> > A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam
> > of invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the
> ^^^^^^^^^
>
> That would require a lot of power (like an industrial CO2 laser with a
> half a kW optical output), will before long blind and/or scar both
> you, the cat, and every surface in the line of sight.

The quote was from the abstract; the claims make it clear that it's talking
about visible light that cannot be seen until it hits something (in a clean,
environment, obviously). The long description makes it clear that the
"invention" under discussion uses visible-light handheld lasers.

Good catch - I'd say it proves you're smarter than a patent examiner, but I
don't want to offend you with such a gross understatement.

/cco