Re: [Pigdog] Re: WTO the rampage!

enigma (enigma@totse.com)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:03:50 -0800

At 01:36 AM 12/3/99 -0800, Chris Olds wrote:
>the only
>beneficiaries of the current WTO process are large corporations (Boeing is a
>host company, I'm not sure about MS).

Personally I like being able to buy cheap imported consumer goods that
don't have sky-high tariffs attached on them. Anyone who buys imported
goods benefits from abolishing tariffs and eliminating trade restrictions.

I like the fact that the spur of international competition makes American
firms work that much harder to produce higher quality, cheaper goods,
rather than producing shoddy, over-priced crap like they do when foreign
goods (and hence competition) are kept out by high tariffs.

Personally, I think we ought to abolish all tariffs and price supports
unilaterally, whether other countries do so or not. Let's thank the
Japanese consumers! Because they're willing to pay more for their cars
domestically, and bail out their steel companies with tax dollars, we get
cheaper goods! Same goes for any other counties that support their local
industries with special perks and tax dollars. Foreign tax dollars pumped
into exporting industries just mean that American consumers get a free ride
at their expense. Take their money! Fuck 'em!

And yes, I do care about the environment, I just think attacking the
problem with government restrictions on trade will be a power easily abused
by companies that want government protection from foreign competition, and
will end up doing more harm than good. If you want to save the environment,
lobby for mandatory labeling and let consumers make their own choices. A
"turtle-safe" label guaranteeing that seafood was netted in a way that
didn't kill turtles would do more to help turtles than any trade restrictions.

enigma@totse.com enigma@nirvananet.org enigma@pigdog.org
http://www.totse.com http://www.nirvananet.org http://www.pigdog.org
&TOTSE Forums Live Again: http://www.totse.com/bin/bbs/Ultimate.cgi