Re: Bomb Incubators

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 12:06:56 -0500 (EST)

Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> The neatest part, however, is the LifeGuard sniper protection system.
> > Designed to protect troops in low-intensity combat zones
> > like Somalia and Kosovo, LifeGuard instantaneously
> > pinpoints the source of sniper fire, tracks the paths of the
> > bullets, and snaps a photo of the sniper. Then it directs
> > return fire all within a second of the first shot.
>
> Talk about a clever use of technology.

I'm a little nervous about the idea of guns automatically firing at
things a computer program thinks are snipers. I recall an incident in
my teens when I accidentally launched a small piece of copper wire a
bit above Mach 1 with a tether. (I heard the sonic boom -- or sonic
snap, in this case. Then I noticed my arm was bleeding.) I hope no
Somalian teens are playing with the same kind of stuff.

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!