RE: A Tale of Three Cities

Rajiv Shah (r-shah4@uiuc.edu)
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:18:33 -0600

Red Herring has done a background story on Interval
http://www.redherring.com/mag/issue57/profile.html
There is also a more recent article on the failure of Eplanet,
the third failed spinoff from
Interval. http://www.redherring.com/insider/1999/1006/news-eplanet.html

"In 1992, Paul Allen founded Interval Research with a 10-year, $100
million charter to expand the ways in which people communicate and live
with new technology. Since its inception, three of the five companies
Interval has spun-off have been commercial failures. In February, Purple
Moon, a video game software maker, ceased operations and laid off
its employees due to stiff competition in a saturated market. In July
1998, Internet software maker Carnelian closed its doors. Like ePlanet,
Carnelian was unable to get venture capitalists excited about its prospects."

At 01:58 AM 12/3/99 -0500, Cynthia Dale wrote:
>Hm, nope, I haven't heard of it. It must be more secretive than
>transmeta... (:
>
>Cynthia J. Dale
>Technical Engineer
>Red Hat, Inc.
>
>fnord.
>

>On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:17:39 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Robert S. Thau <rst@ai.mit.edu>
> > To: joe@barrera.org
> > Cc: 'Roy T. Fielding' <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>,
> 'Gregory Alan Bolcer' <gbolcer@endTECH.com>, 'FoRK' <fork@xent.com>
> > Subject: RE: A Tale of Three Cities

> > > Well, I checked out :-)
> > >
> > > But seriously, that quote has a lot of truth to it...
> >
> > Speaking of which, there's Interval, the research lab founded (or at
> > least funded) by that other guy from Microsoft. Has anyone heard of
> > *anything* coming out of that place?
> >
> > rst

Rajiv Shah
Email: r-shah4@uiuc.edu