Re: Fwd: WTO the rampage!

Cynthia Dale (silly@redhat.com)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 02:26:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Tom Whore wrote:

> --]> The computer is a tool that can either be used well or used badly. The
> --]> quaility of result is not so much in the computer as in its user.
> --]
> --]I agree. But it can't all happen in this space. This space can easily be
> --]taken away from us. Some of it has to happen out there. (:
>

> Very true, the more sources of recourse to a problem the better.
>

> As for this place being taken away, there is an equal chance of the OUT
> THERE space being taken away ("right to assemble", needing proper papers
> to travel from place to place(try getting on a plane without id), freedom
> to speak your mind(even when it is diffeerent from the accepted ways of
> thinking (somethign the left is now as bad at as the right))

Chance? It's happened already. I have witnessed it personally, and
protest against it each time I go to a Gathering. A lot of people have NO
fucking clue, but we, as amarican citizens, can no longer peaceably
assemble on public land. This land is youuur land, this land is myyy
land....NOPE! Check it:
http://www.welcomehome.org/rainbow/nfs-regs/fsregs.html#regs
So...we cannot gather as a people, not just the rainbows, but anyone. We
have to have permits, which means that someONE has to be responsible for
the actions of everyone there. Anyhow, like I said, each gathering is a
protest against these new regulations. Noone signs the damned permit,
noone admits responsibility, and more importantly, you should see what the
land looks like after 30-30,000 hippies leave it. Cleaned up, replanted,
and even improved. All gathering sites are "hurt" land. It's been mined,
poisoned, etc, by different companies/the government, which is the reason
for the gatherings: to pray for peace and healing of the earth. Note that
the reason for this new regulation is because of impact upon the land by
large numbers of people, which is aimed directly at rainbow. Anyhow,
I will stop ranting, but don't think for a minute that you have any rights
at all. They are dissolving at a rate much faster than anyone's aware of,
and it's damned scary.

> Every space is just another medium for information exchange, the air, the
> land, the net, the ether, the waves....all of em need to be used so that
> they are not atrophied away.

I agree completely. I do feel like the 'net is a huge resource for people
to exchange info, plan projects, protests, grow things, love things. I
like it more than "real life" sometimes because of the lesser amount of
boundaries. (:

> As to seatle...maybe we should have a Protest the Bad Protestors Protest
> so tht we can get the messages of the real issues out as wide as the hair
> hair styles of those protesting.

YES!!!!!!!! Where? I'm there. (:
Cindy