RE: Postel's country code list

Edward Jung (edward@jungco.com)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:51:32 -0800

The DNS country codes are based on ISO-3166-1.

You can find these codes at the home of the 3166 Maintenance Agency at
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/index.html, see
http://www.iso.ch/infoe/agency/agenlist.html for more info).

The actual list is at
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/codlstp1/index.html

You can search the web for "ISO 3166" to find other places, or look up "ISO
country codes" in Yahoo.

There are three and four letter codes also, the links above discuss some of
this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Oskoboiny [mailto:gerald@impressive.net]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 4:03 PM
To: Mark Kuharich
Cc: FoRK@xent.com; farber@cis.upenn.edu; webmaster@iana.org;
iana@iana.org
Subject: Re: Postel's country code list

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 09:30:40AM -0800, Mark Kuharich wrote:
> I'm trying to track down the List that Jon Postel used to designate
> geographic country codes for top level domain names.

I had this bookmarked as:

http://www.iana.org/in-notes/iana/assignments/country-codes

but now that's a 404.

Grr... haven't any of these people actually tried using the Web
and been frustrated by broken links? How can they willingly
inflict this pain on others?

webmaster@iana.org, please read:

Cool URIs don't change
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

and please fix all those links you've broken by either restoring
the documents you removed, or adding redirects to your server.

IANA's country-codes list is also available here:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/country-codes

> Does the International Signage Organization really exist or is it really
> the International Standards Organization? Does the ISO Document 3156
> really exist? Does anyone have a URL to this or any equivalent document?
> If you don't have a URL, pointers to any other resources are fine.

http://www.iana.org/ points to http://www.iana.org/cctld.html
which points to

ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency (ISO 3166/MA)
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/index.html

ISO 3166-1: The Code List
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/codlstp1.html

--