Re: Mein gott, Nelson was arguing for CSS

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:32:28 -0500 (EST)

James Tauber writes:
> > > FWIW, the separation of presentation from structure/content predates
> both
> > > CSS and Nelson's article by about a quarter of a century.
> >
> > What are you referring to as the predecessor?
>
> The work on GML (starting in 1969) that lead to SGML.
>
> I believe William Tunnicliffe gave a presentation in 1967 on the topic of
> separating the content of documents from their format.

I've since checked my CTSS manual; it seems that the 1965-era runoff
didn't have a documented macro facility. So, this may be a winner,
unless Engelbart was up to something similar earlier...

rst