Re: xmlhack developer news from the XML community

Ka-Ping Yee (ping@lfw.org)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:56:13 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> Ah, XMLHack -- a production of Edd Dumbill, who is now Managing Editor of
> XML.com
>
> The article in mention was penned by ZOT's own [and others' too] Simon St.
> Laurent http://www.zotgroup.com/who.html#simonstl

Uh, just what the heck is going on with that site?
http://www.zotgroup.com/ takes me to

http://www.zotgroup.com/index2.html

-- an *entire page* generated using only JavaScript, which is a
blank page for me because i don't happen to be running the
required version of JavaScript. Come to think of it, this is
probably a technique i would apply if i was *trying* to make a
web page accessible to as small an audience as possible.

Why can't it just be plain readable content?

Other beefs with this page (even if it *were* readable):

- I'd get tired of someone inserting a big ugly 30-odd-line
ASCII art banner at the top of all my pages really quick.

- Why does the JavaScript code expose the paths on your
local hard drive?

As i wrote in an internal message about a uselessly frilly
company Web application recently:

"Useful, working applications will beat frilly,
non-functional applications every time. Good looks
are indeed nice to have, but under no circumstances
should usability and reliability be sacrificed for
their sake. Wherever this happens, regardless of the
parties involved, you can rest assured that i will
forever rail loud and long against such absurdity."

Accessibility! Usability! Please!

nothing personal -- it's just the principle of the thing,

-- ?!ng

"All models are wrong; some models are useful."
-- George Box