Re: Fwd: linux marketshare up 212%

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:51:35 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Tim Byars wrote:
> -> Linux marketshare grows 212% in 1998
> ->
> -> There is an alternative to Windows, but its not the Macintosh: Freeware
> -> sensation Linux grew a whopping 212% in 1998, outpacing Windows NT,
> -> NetWare, and all other versions of UNIX by a wide margin.

I've written IDC for details on their study; I haven't yet received a
reply.

Consider that the study was on *server OS* market share -- not OS market
share in general.

> -> -wininfo (yes, WINinfo)

Soon the most popular way to do windows will be on Linux :)

(That means both windows -- in the sense of rectangles on the screen
displaying some representation of some software object -- and Windows
in the sense of Microsoft's OS. See http://www.winehq.com/. WINE is
estimated to be in use by 90,000 people; it is reputed to run mIRC,
games from Microsoft, Kai's Power Goo, Starcraft, Lightwave Modeler,
RealPlayer, WinAmp, AOLPress, Quake2, etc. etc.)

Silence may not be golden, but at least it's quiet.  Don't speak unless you
can improve the silence.  I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
-- ancient philosopher Syrus (?) via Adam Rifkin, <adam@cs.caltech.edu>