Re: MOSR on MOSX again

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:05:29 -0500 (EST)

Tim, is this a joke?

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Tim Byars wrote:
> Symmetric Multiprocessing - It will be there. Every task will be able to
> be run across multiple processors.

Bullshit. Not even Apple can magically take an arbitrary
single-threaded program written in machine code and efficiently
parallelize it.

> Cluster Processing - Count on it. Wire up your Yosemite or Sawtooth
> machines with MacOS X, and you can automatically set one machine on the
> network to be the "Master" machine and the others to be the "Slaves". Every
> "Slave" machine will handle the instructions sent to it by the "Master".
> This way, you can connect 500 G4's and have all of them, say, rendering
> "Toy Story III: The Adult World". Whatever. Unlimited power. Unlimited
> scalability.

People are doing this already.

> Red Box - Apple hates emulation. It doesn't want emulation in its product.
> Emulation is slow. However, Apple is working on a hybrid method to bring
> seamless Windows comaptibility to the Macintosh. The first is a Win32 API
> set, part of the so-called Red Box. The other is a custom "DOS
> Compatibility Card".

Are we expected to believe that Apple will write a full implementation
of the Win32 API? It seems that even Microsoft can't quite do that --
they wrote NT, defined its API to be "Win32", and then implemented
Win95 -- which ended up with numerous portability problems.

We're talking about a truly massive effort here -- roughly comparable
to what Microsoft did to turn Win3.1 into Win95 (although Apple already
has the central part, memory protection and multitasking, free.)

> MacOS X and Linux - Apple is proposing a UNIX binary format and submitting
> it to the ISO later this month. This will eliminate one major hassle of
> UNIX -- having to download source and compile it.

Funny, System 6 UNIX had a format for binaries in 1976.

Or maybe this means a *portable* binary format. What machine code will
this binary format use? PowerPC code? Or perhaps Java bytecodes?
That'll really reduce hassles, won't it -- instead of having to
laboriously recompile things, I'll just run them at a tenth the speed
in an emulator! What joy Apple brings.

Unless this means a binary format portable between Unices for the same
architecture, like the iBCS stuff we've had for a few years.

> This is a major stride towards making UNIX - including Linux - more universal.

Sure.

> Apple is also
> working to license Carbon APIs and YellowBox to all major UNIX versions...
> This doesn't mean that Apple is giving away MacOS X, just the support
> necessary to run MacOS X applications. No source code will be given.

a. Apple does not plan to give out source code.
b. Apple plans to require a license from anyone who
implements the Carbon or OpenStep APIs.

That would be frightening, except that it's blatantly illegal.

Tim, did you make this post up?

Silence may not be golden, but at least it's quiet.  Don't speak unless you
can improve the silence.  I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
-- ancient philosopher Syrus (?) via Adam Rifkin, <adam@cs.caltech.edu>