RE: [SPAM] Re: Surfree

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:26:02 -0700

At 10:44 AM -0700 6/2/98, Rohit Khare came up with this:

> Our first spam... sigh.
>
> I suspected all along it couldn't get to this large an mlist without
>SOMETHING
> snarfing fork into a spammer database.
>
> I really have to plan migrating FoRK to true mailing list software. One part
> would then be restricting posts to members-only. Thoughts? Email me
>personally
> on this issue.

Well I disagree on the mailing you personally on this all too important a
topic.

You already know my opinion. But to restate it your going to get spammed no
matter what you do. How hard is it to write something to sniff the mail
port and send something to that address?

So whatever you do spam, until Uncle Sam makes it a $250,000 or 5 years in
jail crime isn't going to stop. However, my feelings about the mailing list
is to password protect for members only the archive. I personally am tired
of getting idiots sending me mail about something that I might have posted
two years ago.

Also think of poor Janie. Everytime someone does a search on the web for
"slut" her name is going to come up.

Tim

--

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers: ...Marilyn Manson

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>