Re: The Rob file Part Duex

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (reagle@rpcp.mit.edu)
Thu, 28 May 1998 10:06:41 -0400

At 03:26 PM 5/27/98 -0700, CobraBoy wrote:
> executive Larry Ellison, Sun Microsystems' chief
>Scott McNealy
> peppered his discussion today at Harvard University
with
> frequent digs at the Redmond, Washington-based
>software giant.

McNealy couldn't stop himself. His favorite allegory with respect to MS/Java
was taking a cup of coffee, removing some of the flavor and putting some
poison in and still asking people to drink it. Also, when asked about
standards, he spoke of ad-hoc, and privately developed which are then made
public, but didn't talk about IETF style development at all. Other than
making quips at MS, his main topic was java in embedded devices. Steve
Ballmer of MS was speaking a few hours later but I missed it for a
teleconference.

McNealy was the Pres. of the Harvard Golf team. Half the big speakers are
grads of Harvard: Ballmer, Dyson, Gerstner, McNealy. Those who are not:
Case, Ellison, Polese.

Regards, http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/home.html
Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
reagle@mit.edu independent research account