Re: Prisoner of cyberspace

Joachim Feise (jfeise@ICS.uci.edu)
Tue, 12 May 1998 16:03:22 -0700

Lloyd Wood wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Joachim Feise wrote:
>
> I've spent a decade under the obviously misguided impression that bugs
> in 286 memory management eliminated real operating systems from the
> market, leaving the field clear for that Windows application
> thing.
>
> Xenix would run on a 286? How was VM implemented?

Hey, it's a long time ago.
But I remember that Xenix ran on 286. And just yesterday I was listening to a
SCO presentation, and the presenter mentioned that as well. He also said that
there was a Xenix implementation that ran on 8086!

MS should be happy about that, they still get $15 on every copy of commercial
Unix on x86 (except from Sun and SGI).

-JoeF