FW: Welcome Michael Freedman

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:28:54 -0700

Wow. MSR has been hiring boatloads of people, enough that I pretty much
delete all the "Welcome John Smith" messages without reading them very
carefully, but this message caught my eye...

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (415)
588-4801

-----Original Message-----
From: Jennifer Chayes
Sent: Monday, June 30, 1997 8:51 PM
To: MS Research
Subject: Welcome Michael Freedman

It is a great pleasure to welcome Michael Freedman to the Theory Group
at Microsoft Research. Before joining us here, Mike was Charles Lee
Powell Professor of Mathematics at UCSD.

Mike is an incredible mathematician. The work for which he is best
known is the solution of the long-standing Poincare conjecture in four
dimensions, for which he received the Fields Medal, the highest honor in
mathematics. Mike has received numerous other awards and honors
including Sloan and Guggenheim Fellowships, a MacArthur Fellowship and
the National Medal of Science. He is an elected member of the National
Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the
New York Academy of Sciences.

Mike has recently begun to work on fundamental problems in the
theoretical computer science, in particular on the P/NP question and on
non-standard models of computation.

Please join us in welcoming Mike to Microsoft Research.

-- Jennifer Chayes and Christian Borgs