Re: Baked XML With Sour Grapes and ArChives [Draft -1 !!!]

Mark Baker (distobj@acm.org)
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 18:55:39 -0400

At 04:54 PM 28/6/97 +0300, Ron Resnick wrote:
>Yuck. As Mark will hasten to tell you in great detail, 'application' is
>such an ugly word, in your world and ours.

Er, yeah. What he said.

>Um, yes, I'd agree with much of this. Mind you, it presupposes that
>the point of the exercise is to pull all the objects together to one
>(time/space) coordinate, which I've already indicated doesn't have to be
>the goal.

One of the things that CORBA does have going for it that Java doesn't (for
now)
is the notion of persistent object references/URLs. i.e. that it doesn't
matter
if the object is active in memory, or pickled to tape, punch-cards, or
teeth marks
in play-doh; if you've got an adapter that can unpickle/reactivate it, that
objref/URL is always useable as-is.

That means that you don't need to pre-walk your structure in order to pickle.
Just pickle the ref, and it's still valid. By-value, or by-reference doesn't
matter.

What ever happened to those "synergistic" arguments that we were expecting
with the
"How I learned to stop worrying and love HTTP" paper? I think you'd do a
lot better
to concentrate on those points than to try to find flaws with distributed
object
computing. Plus, I'm really interested to hear them.

MB

--
Mark Baker, Ottawa Ontario CANADA.              Java, CORBA, OpenDoc, Beans
distobj@acm.org, mbaker@nortel.ca            http://www.iosphere.net/~markb

Too many dinosaurs, too few meteors - Seyma Atik