Re: Crossposting, FoRKposting, and PoSTforking...

Joseph R. Kiniry (kiniry@cs.caltech.edu)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 00:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

Ron Resnick writes:
> Adam wrote:
> >
> >> My my - these piracy issues are real.
> >
> >Aye, matey.
>
> Thievery is one thing, falsification quite another. That was privacy
> not piracy. You're dethpicable. That '>>' means quote - change
> the text on that line and you're damned to eternal 1812 flaming by
> Last First - we Canadians stick together,didn't you know?

aye, and one of our non-subscribing lurkers should know quite a bit
about this, eh bob?

> >> This is actually why I think we have to start conditioning ourselves
> >> for fishbowl existence, since no WoT is ever going to be sufficient.
> >
> >You don't trust me that those bits were ready for primetime?
>
> You? Oh sure. I trust you to tell me to buy and hold Intel forever.
> I'd trust you on any number of OTC penny stock trades , swampland
> deals, or get rich quick pyramid schemes - where do I sign?
> I'd trust you enough to vote for you in a bid for public office.
> I'd trust you to go to the potty by yourself. I'd trust you to lift the seat
> before, and put it down after, and wipe up any mess. I'd trust you to
> never tell a lie -well, maybe just a little white one now and then.
> I'd trust you with my life. But I wouldn't
> trust you with my wife. Or a knife. I'd trust you to give honest
> change. I'd trust you to take only one cookie from the cookie jar.
> I'd trust you not to expose yourself on the subway, unless you really
> couldn't resist the urge.
> I'd trust you to give really bad advice. I'd even trust
> you to occasionally give good advice.

the above is obviously written by someone who doesn't really _know_ i
find karma. it should read:

"You? Oh sure. I trust you to tell me to buy and hold >Microsoft (you
traitor!) forever. I'd trust you on >a couple< of OTC penny stock
trades, swampland deals, or get rich quick pyramid schemes - where do
I >sign away my soul<? I'd trust you enough to vote for >the grandma
next door< in a bid for public office. I'd trust you to go to the
potty by yourself >and to promptly forget all context on all
conversations you were having and work that you were doing after
finishing "the act"<. I'd trust you to lift the seat before, and put
it down after, and wipe up any mess (>no comment<). I'd trust you to
never tell a lie -well, maybe just a little white one now and then.
I'd trust you with my life (>really ron?<). But I wouldn't trust you
with my wife. Or a knife. (>i have no wife and that's not a knife;
THIS is a knife!<) I'd trust you to give honest change. I'd trust you
to take only one cookie from the cookie jar >oh man, _that's asking
for it_.<. I'd trust you not to expose yourself on the subway, unless
you really couldn't resist the urge >to pop his stack, so to speak?<.
I'd trust you to give really bad advice. I'd even trust you to
occasionally give good advice. >occasionally? hmmmm.<

> But I don't yet trust your judgement on when my bits
> are ready for primetime - not that. My life - that's nothing. My bits?
> Now that's a different story. Adam, really, I hardly know you!
> Why don't we just be friends, you know? That Commitment thing -
> oh, I'm not ready for it yet. Let's keep our bits to ourselves for a while
> before shacking them up, ok?

sounds like you need a way to protect your bits ron. how do we
prevent these scoundrels from _ever touching our raw bits_? hmmm...

> As Mark has put it, "home is where you hang your hat". I guess that
> has me an awful long way from home....

yes, but you have to say it with a _slightly italian accent_ (and breathy):

"hommmmme-a... is-a where-a you hang your _hat_!". (with emphasis!)

> >That's definitely not true. I don't pay attention to anyone's posts on
> >this list except my own and Joe Barrera's.
>
> This is a deliberate attempt at Zeno's paradox, I take it? Or are you
> not generally clever enough to consciously bury a paradox in this
> way. As in "If this statement is true, it must be false since it's written
> it must be true since...". Hence it's neither true nor false, meaning
> it's just indeterminate-state bits, meaning it's a waste of bandwidth. Mu.

you're giving adam too much credit. actually, he and joeB _are the
same person_! it's kind of like michael and janet jackson - two sides
of the same evil twin! (heh heh, watch ron chew on that...)

> >Bobby, actually. Watch out, boy, he'll chew you up.
>
> Hall and Oates? With that impressive CD collection you boast of, the
> best you can do is quote decade-and-a-half leftovers from top 40
> Hall and Oates? Shit, *I* can quote better music and the only thing
> I listen to is Bruce Springsteen and AM radio.

right on ron! boy, you try to look so hard!

> >Because you want a revolution. You don't care about entrenched market
> >forces; you just want to attack, to bring death to the infidels. We're
> >talking rivers of blood here. We're talking martyrs.
> >
> >Whereas I think in terms of an evolution. A new system, whatever it is,
> >must evolve out of currently existing standards. It must take today's
> >technology and bring it to the next level. As the Web did for the
> >Internet, so should documents==objects do it for the Web. But you have
> >to bootstrap. The dustbins of history are filled with Xanadus that
> >steered clear of the existing technologies, and as a result got swept
> >away...
>
> Amazingly enough, we concur far more than you might imagine on this.
> Yes, I do cry revolution in terms of the change to the world order.
> But so do you on that scale - tell me munchkins is gonna come in
> and make-nice to the RBOCs. More like a sledgehammer to the right
> temple, followed by a baseball bat to the left.
>
> In terms of the technology, I too believe 'the market will choose'. I'm
> ready to see it go any which way - Beans, ActiveX, whatever. If
> you karmakids are right, I can live with that too - we've been through
> this before, haven't we?

...deleting the rest of ron's statements on the following because i
will follow-up in a different, more appropriately titled, email at a
later date...

> It's an opinion. Trust me :-).
>
> Ron.

it's a fact, trust me.

joe

p.s. to whom it may concern - not only did my recent NT crash take all
my mail with it, it too all digitally signed documents recently sent
to my system (you know who your are) as well as my new private
key. <sigh>

p.p.s. my "new" system, running _free_ software, has yet to have a
single application fail in any way, my cut-and-paste-attempted to
cut-and-paste-succeeded ratio is 1.0, my average cpu usage on a window
move is down from ~44% of two cpus to ~0.1% of one, and my disk
utilization is down from just over 4gb to 247mb! ask anyone in the
lab - I AM A CHANGED MAN!

p.p.p.s. now if i could just get this eye twitch to go away...