Re: Israel is heaven for writers?

Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 00:50:01 +0300

At 11:51 AM 6/16/97 PDT, I Find Karma wrote:
>Hi Claudia,
>
>Long story, but I was perusing
>
>http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/labs/dai/people/claudia/index.html
>
>thanks to my officemate Joe, and I couldn't help but notice that you
>have a lot -- okay, a ton -- okay, a METRIC TON -- of papers written.
>The ones I read looked pretty good, too. And you're a student, right?
>
>I only have one other sample point -- his name is Ron Resnick, and he
>lives in Haifa -- but this guy churns out prose at an astonishing rate
>as well. Of course, he mostly sends his stuff to mailing lists, whereas
>you get your work published regularly.
>
>>From this sample size of 2, I can only conjecture that Israel is quite
>conducive to writing -- heck, most of the Bible was written there, and
>that's as Herculean an undertaking as they get. (Aside: I still can't
>believe the Bible gets away with not having any references; whenever I
>submit something without a bibliography it gets thrown back in my face).

No, no, no, Adam.

I write *in spite* of being in Israel. I write *because I can't take
it anymore and want to go home again*. I write because of
*incredible loneliness and longing for old friends and old times
and things that can't be any more.* Most of all, I write because my
brain is too full of crap and I have to let it spill somewhere, and you
unsuspecting twits let me continue dumping it on you :-).

Sorry Claudia, I'm sure you don't want to know any of this.
Just curious though: do you know Esti Yeger-Lotem? She's
my officemate here at IBM Haifa. She finished her MSc
last year with Danny Dolev. I'm always on the lookout for
quirky coincidences like this...

I'll have a look at some of your papers too. Quite the agent-expert
I see.
PS. My wife is Brazilian, and we have quite a collection of
S.American friends here, including a number of Argentinians.

Ron
---------
Ron Resnick IBM: ron_resnick@vnet.ibm.com
IBM Haifa Research Lab HRL world: resnick@interlog.com
MATAM 31905 Haifa, Israel http://www.interlog.com/~resnick/ron.html
Tel: 972-4-829-6491

"In other words: there's an Orb-like thingie in just about everything,
supporting a queryable BO that can do meaningful things ?"
--Sandor Spruit