For newbies to FoRK.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Sat, 14 Jun 97 21:25:37 PDT

I'm sitting in the lab, playing Quake, drinking Coke, listening to Sheryl Crow,
and lots of email is coming in on the wire.

> From tbyars@earthlink.net Sat Jun 14 19:52:57 1997
> To: FoRK@pest.w3.org
> Subject: repost FoRK who's who Adam
>
> for all the new FoRkers why don't you repost your breakdown Adam?

Yeah, we have 36 people on FoRK now, thanks to Clover joining yesterday.
Hi Clover!

I guess I should sort of make a little roadmap for newbies to FoRK.

You could start with the FAQ, although that's very dense:

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-fork.html

Here are some of the FAQ highlights:

1. Who's who on FoRK: the lurkers, the middle class, and the overposters.
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-fork.html#whosonfork

2. Rohit's personal favorite FoRKposts.
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-fork.html#faves

3. The FoRK motto.
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-fork.html#motto

4. The Macarena.
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-fork.html#macarena

5. Ernie's Rules of War.
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-fork.html#erniesrules

6. Rohit's Rules of Order.
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-adam.html#rohitsrules

7. FoRK jargon: "Bit".
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-adam.html#bit

8. FoRK jargon: "Cluon" / "Anticluon".
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-adam.html#cluon

9. FoRK jargon: "97%".
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-adam.html#ninetyseven

10. FoRK jargon: "Thirty Hypothesis".
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-adam.html#thirty

I think that's enough for now. Watch out, infosoaking in the form of
reading the FAQ can be quite the timesucker...

> From khare@anansi.w3.org Sat Jun 14 20:47:36 1997
> Subject: you loser...
> To: adam@cs.caltech.edu (Adam Rifkin)
>
> reading the new fork faq sukced up an hour!!! :-)
>
> RK

But every once in a while one discovers a new bit...

> From khare@anansi.w3.org Sat Jun 14 21:02:29 1997
> Subject: charette
> To: adam@cs.caltech.edu (Adam Rifkin)
>
> Wow! never knew this...
>
> What is "charette"?
>
> Feverish activity immediately preceding a deadline. The term comes
> from the French name for the horsedrawn carts in Paris that carried
> architectural students with their architectural models from their
> workshops to their examinations, still feverishly finishing the models
> "en charette." In the vernacular English we can speak of "having a
> charette" and, of course, there is a verb form: "charetting it up."
> Without a deadline there can be no charette.
>
> Use in a sentence: Rohit can work only en charette.
>
> Explains why it's the name of a big art store inthe Boston area.

Ah,

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/LOCAL/faq-adam.html#charette

Enjoy! :)

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

I'm not one OF a billion, I'm one IN a billion...
-- Rohit Khare