DEC sues Intel for willful patent infringement

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Tue, 13 May 1997 09:26:02 -0700

This could get VERY interesting.

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (415)
588-4801

-----Original Message-----
From: Alessandro Forin
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 1997 9:20 AM
To: Operating Systems Research Group
Subject: Re: DEC sues

This has a tiny bit more info. They are asking for triple-damages,
which means they (think they) can
prove Intel looked at DEC's patents.

Digital sues Intel over patents
        NEW YORK - Digital Equipment Corp. said Monday it had filed suit
against chip maker Intel Corp. alleging patent infringement. <Picture:
LiveQuote!>Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC)pricechange$34.750+ $1.625
<Picture><Picture><Picture><Picture>Intel Corporation
(INTC)pricechange$155.750-$3.375
<Picture><Picture><Picture><Picture>Data: Microsoft Investor and PCQuote
Inc. 20 min.delay

        In a suit filed in U.S. District Court, District of
Massachusetts, Digital alleged that Intel had "willfully infringed" 10
Digital patents in making, using and selling microprocessor products,
including its Pentium, Pentium Pro and Pentium II microprocessor
families.
        Intel was not immediately available for comment.
        Digital said it alleged in the suit that Intel's patent
infringement had caused Digital economic injury that would cause
irreparable harm if not stopped.
        Digital said it seeks an injunction, to prohibit Intel from
using Digital's patented technology in its present and future
microprocessor products, and monetary damages, including triple damages
for alleged willful violation of patents.
        "Over the years, Digital has made substantial investments in
developing computing architectures and microprocessor technology," said
Digital Chairman Robert Palmer. "It is our duty to our shareholders,
customers, partners and employees to protect our intellectual property
rights and the benefits of our industry-leading research and development
efforts."
        "As a result of its infringement of our patents," Palmer
continued, "Intel has strengthened its monopoly in the X86 market and is
seeking to extend its monopoly to higher-performance microprocessors.
This conduct threatens the competitive environment essential for
continued innovation and growth in the computer industry."