Office 97 was intended to be bought in August, not January.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Fri, 9 May 97 11:23:29 PDT

I wonder if other offices are having as many problems with bugs in
Office 97 as Kaiser Permanente is.

Kaiser has recommended removing Office 97 completely until August.
I mean, what's with this:

> > A subsequent advisory will be sent out when it looks like Office 97
> > is ready for rollout.

Hello, it's MAY 1997!! Office 97 rolled out 4 months ago...

> > For licensing purposes you can buy Office 97 and downgrade to Office 95.

Oh, this makes sense...

Then again, the Office 97 problems are nothing compared to the gigantic
disk crash number Windows NT 4.0 did to Joe Kiniry's disk last night...
it ate through the disk, the motherboard, and made a big hole in the
floor. We're seriously puzzled - the machine won't let us install ANY
operating system (not even DOS), nor have control over the hardware, nor
even reformat the disk!! A $20,000 multiprocessor pentium pro lays
dormant because we cannot figure out how to revive it...

Kaiser memo:
> From Michelle.Gardner@kp.org Fri May 9 10:24:48 1997
> To: "'adam'" <adam@cs.caltech.edu>
> Subject: Office 97
>
> We got a memo about office 97......
>
> >The following advisory is based on our own experience with a pilot
> >group of Office 97 users and NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT information
> >obtained from Microsoft.
> >
> >The Advisory
> >
> >Don't install Office 97 until fixes (PTFs) scheduled for August 97
> >have been tested. A subsequent advisory will be sent out when it
> >looks like Office 97 is ready for rollout. For licensing purposes
> >you can buy Office 97 and downgrade to Office 95. This will allow
> >you to switch to Office 97 without incurring additional licensing
> >fees later.
> >
> They are recommending to all of Kaiser not to install it yet......
> Stop the insanity!!

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

I have just been called conservative! Mark this day in your calendar!!
-- Tim Byars, May 1 1997