Micropayments a la Seidman (fwd)

Rohit Khare (khare@w3.org)
Tue, 6 May 1997 19:53:14 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded message:
From: rivest@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Ron Rivest)
Date: Tue, 06 May 97 00:04:44 EDT
To: micropay@ai.mit.edu
Subject: Micropayments a la Seidman
Sender: owner-micropay@ai.mit.edu

I disagree with Seidman's analysis of micropayments (given below).

I conjecture that an average browser-person is willing to spend about
$3/hour for web micropayments. At 5 clicks/minute, this comes out to
about a penny a click. I agree with Seidman that payments of 1/50 of
a cent per payment are probably not worth bothering with.

There are lots of ways of making micropayments work. The proposal in
my note "Electronic Lottery Tickets for Micropayments" (see
http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rivest/publications.html) is one approach.

With 100 million browser-people each spending two hours a day surfing
the web, we have total micropayment revenues of $600M per day, or
about $200 billion per year. This is not chicken feed. Even if I am
off by a factor of ten (not unlikely), we are talking a $20
billion/year industry.

The other problem with Seidman's analysis is that he assumes that the
driving force will be the bankers. I think that the driving force
will be the vendors who want to sell things for micropayments. This
is income that they might not otherwise obtain, and so they will be
willing to pay sizable margins (e.g. 25%) to make it work. This will
get the bankers interested. (The math works out to 25% of $20 billion
giving $5 billion in revenues.) Of course, competition will drive
down the margins, but the size of the micropayment industry itself
will make micropayments inevitable. Those who get out there first
stand to make considerable money.

Cheers,
Ron Rivest