Perens Re: Apple Sauce

Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@drernie.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:18:50 -0800

> Tim Byars wrote:
>> It sounds to me more like infighting amongst the OSI than any real
>> issue with what Apple has done.
>
> OSI is wholly with Apple, as far as anyone can tell. It's just that
> much of the rest of the free-software community is opposed to what
> Apple has done, including Bruce Perens, a former member of OSI.

I'm generally going to avoid this discussion. However, Bruce has said
(publicly) that he appreciates the steps we are taking, and is providing
suggestions on how to do it better.

Characterizing him as 'opposed' to what we're doing is, I think, unfair to
him, though much of the press and other individuals seem to really want to
take it that way.

I'm not trying to defend Apple here, just trying to defend Bruce.

-- Ernie P.

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
ernest@drernie.com
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ernest