Re: the cost of the Y2K non-problem

Jay Thomas (jpthomas@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:57:16 -0500

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:
> The real question here is, assuming that Y2K didn't end up being a problem,
> how much of a problem would we see? Are insurance companies and governments

All,
Not addressing Joes question on non-problems, but an interesting story
regarding *real* Y2K probs.

A certain person has a car loan w/ a certain New England based bank. He
also has a checking account at same bank. Having come into a nice chunk
of cash (bonus or something), decides to pay down his car loan by $4500,
and sends in the check. This pays his monthly payments well into 2000.
Suddenly the computer decides he's several decades behind in payments.
There are 4 levels of nasty-grams that automatically get sent out when
one falls behind; he immediately begins recieving level 4 threatening
letters. A notice of his delinquency is sent to the credit reporting
companies. Since he also has an account at said bank, the computer
starts automatically withdrawing payments from his checking account to
cover all his "missed" payments, drained his acct entirely, all his
checks started bouncing, getting him hit with bounced check fees. All
for trying to get a little ahead. Poor schmuck. Just thought you'd
enjoy a Y2K story happening a couple years early :)

J.