Dow hits 8906

Dan Kohn (dan@teledesic.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:16:05 -0800

I think it was Adam who predicted a 10,000 Dow by 2000. Maybe by the
end of '98 is a better prediction.

Remember my purchase of Lernhout & Hauspie (LHSPF) because I thought
they were a great MSFT buyout candidate? The stock went from 27 to 50 a
month later when MSFT bought 10%. It's now at 81 1/8, which equates to
a 600% return on an annualized basis. (This can't compare, of course,
to the 500,000% annualized return Money 98 calculated on the day of the
announcement. ;-)

Anyway, I think the market is now ready to be spooked by any seriously
bad piece of news, like mass civil unrest in Indonesia or further
recalcitrance from Saddam. Market timing strategies are almost
guaranteed to fail, but I just can't justify putting my monthly savings
into stocks or mutual funds right now.

Instead, I'm building up my money market account for a few quarters,
partly so that I have enough liquidity that I could hopefully ride out a
sustained (2 to 3 year) bull market without needing to sell.

- dan