RE: IETF-LA

Josh Cohen (joshco@microsoft.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:06:44 -0800

One comment on the basis for PIP/RVP whatever.
AOL may be sitting back and waiting, but thats not
really the point, IMHO. The RVP effort to
standardize a 'chat' or 'buddy list' protocol is
directed against AOL's proprietary system. Much
of the momentum from RVP seems to have begun the
day Netscape announced a bundle of AOLs AIM software.
This bundle gives wide distribution to their
prorietary (and thus, evil) protocol, in a sense,
locking out the other players.

So, its no surprise that AOL isnt active, they
have no reason to be, and I havent seen any indication
that they are interested in being open in this space.

Of course, if RVP gets off the ground and becomes
widely deployed, I imagine AOL (and netscape) will
be forced by the market to support the new protocol.