Re: Home pages

Michael Stutz (stutz@dsl.org)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:19:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Dan Kohn wrote:

> TBL told me once that a home page was always meant to be your own
> assortment of links (bookmarks, basically), not something you would
> necessarily publish for anyone to see.
<snip>
> Any thoughts for improvements or additions.

What would be great is a page that is just one large form, with one text
input box where you could enter any text you want, the contents going to any
number of most-often used services depending on which submit box you hit --
so you could have, for instance, submits for altavista, hotbot, yahoo
search, deja news, the m-w dictionary and thesaurus, etc. filling most of
the page with only one text-entry field. This would require a local cgi app
to interpret the form and send the response, I think. Or maybe better yet,
if you're doing the programming then eliminate all the submit boxes and have
the cgi interpret the submit using a language as part of the text itself (so
you don't have to use the mouse), like "dn" for deja news, "av" for alta
vista, etc...

I have an early version of my most-often used starting points (with lots of
seperate forms, unfortunately) at
<http://dsl.org/m/doc/comp/info/search.html>.