Re: Adam's music bits, 3/17/98.

mdm8@cornell.edu
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:15:46 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, I Find Karma wrote:

> Swing albums bought in Feb and March 1998:
> Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
> Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot
>
> I was hopeful, especially with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy who appear on the
> Swingers soundtrack, but ultimately both albums above shy in comparison
> to that soundtrack. So buy it instead. And if you really want another
> swing album, buy Squirrel Nut Zippers' "Hot" album from last year.

The Swingers soundtrack does, indeed, do a great job, but it's also got
the benefit of having some great oldies on there. I, personally, quite
like the CPD "Zoot Suit Riot", but you also need to realize that it's not
an album, but a pulling of their swing stuff from all their other
albums. They are not strictly a swing band.

As for BBVD, if you can find their very first album (out of print and
very hard to find) get it. I'm supposed to pick up the new one tomorrow.

I do like SNZ, but find it hard to categorize them above either BBVD or
CPD. And, if I had to pick one modern swing band to focus on it would
have to be Royal Crown Revue. Either their second album, "Mugzy's Move"
or their live album "Caught in the Act" demonstrates the best of modern
swing.

Also, since I can't discuss music without mentioning ska, there are a
bunch of good ska-swing bands out there. Personal favorite would have to
be Jump with Joey. Pick up "Ska-Ba" to see them do their best stuff.
Joey of JWJ is Joey Altruda, who also has a track on the Swingers
soundtrack, and also has out two very cool lounge albums, "Cocktails With
Joey" and the most recent "Kingston Cocktail" in which he mixes ska
sounds with cocktail lounge stuff. Great stuff.

-Mike