[BITS] Long-Term Research and Its Impact on Society

Rohit Khare (rohit@bordeaux.ICS.uci.edu)
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:52:33 -0800

A good reference for the "standard" science-is-good speech. He argues:

> 1. Today's high-tech industry is based on the research of yesterday.
> 2. Tomorrow's high tech industry will be based on the research of today.
> 3. The sciences are coupled--progress in one area usually requires supporting
> work from other areas.
> 4. Federal support for research has paid off and will be even more important
> in the future.

I especially appreciated the logic behind:

> As a high energy physicist I can only wish that we had been smarter, and,
> instead of having people type WWW when they want to surf the Internet, we had
> them type HEP perhaps we would have bigger budgets now had we done so.

The take-home meme is:

> "Patent applications in the United States are supposed to
> cite the prior art' on which the particular patent is based. A
> recent study of patent applications from U.S. industry shows that
> 73% of the prior art' cited comes from publicly-funded research.
> (F. Narin, K.S. Hamilton and D. Olivastro, The increasing linkage
> between U.S. technology and public sciences. To be published.)

This was originally posted to Dave Farber's IP [Interesting People] list, sort
of an RRE for net geeks. This one's an odd confluence of tech and policy. I've
been meaning to subscribe to this friends-of-Farber list since I met him last
year, and this pushed me over the edge. You can read the paens to IP in People
magazine and his UC Irvine stint early in his career at:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber/
http://icg.stwing.upenn.edu/hypermail/ip/

Subscription is by personal introduction, like FoRK.

Rohit Khare