Re: Industry Standard's Net 21

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:21:11 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Day writes:

> And this pattern was the usual one. Netscape's sales story for a long time
> focused on how standards were great and they were the standards-compliant
> people. But their actual standards involvement was miniscule by comparison
> to the standards-leader image they claimed.

Well, yeah. I think my reply to Roy may have made it sound too much
like I was trying to defend them; they clearly didn't do as much as
they could have or should have, and made some serious missteps. (And
when people mentioned this to marca, he didn't seem to know what they
were talking about).

All I'm trying to say is that in *one particular case*, they don't
deserve sole blame for the breakdown; they have no such defense for,
say, jerking around HTTP (which had a working group which generally
did a much better job).

rst