Re: Pirates of Silicon Valley

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:58:24 -0400 (EDT)

Eugene Leitl writes:
> Robert S. Thau writes:
>
> > 2) If it really starts out that late, why does Woz have much of a
> > part? I thought he wasn't a really major player in Apple at that
> > point.
>
> I thought it was Wozniak who designed the Apple I.

Designed the Apple I and Apple ][ (or is that Apple //?), and IIRC
wrote everything in the ROM *except* for Applesoft (a/k/a Microsoft)
Basic; that included an interpreter for a 16-bit instruction set of
his own invention called "SWEET-16".

His last really major technical contribution to the company, by all
accounts, was the Apple II (err.. ][, err.. //) disk controller; he
isn't generally credited with much technical contribution at all to
subsequent development work (Lisa, Macintosh), but I do know he shows
up in the movie, hence, my confusion...

rst