Re: FoRK Help.

Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endTECH.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:15:39 -0700

David Crook wrote a bunch of stuff that's true, but irrelevant:

> So to answer your question, that someone is correct.
The question was, can they resolve to different domains.
The answer is, they can resolve to different IP addresses or
they can resolve to forward to different domains, or they
can even resolve to two different virtual or real machines
in a domain and forward them off to someplace else as in
a parked domain. Ping, trace, or route may return different
information, but whois will always map to the same information.

> If you really wanted
> to be a annoying SOB you can define www.foo.com and foo.com to point to
> totally different IP addresses, these could represent two web servers
> running on the same computer or two two different computers. The one catch
> here is that if the computer listed at foo.com is down, your browser might
> try the www.foo.com server as an alternative. This behavior isn't
> specified by any RFC, but some do it anyways.
I think this is covered under RFC 1035, implementers are free to violate
any DNS conventions on their own system as long as all standard conventions
are observed from other hosts.

Just feeling argumentative,

Greg