Computing vs. biology

Koen Holtman (Koen.Holtman@cern.ch)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:57:02 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Stephen Wynne wrote:

> [...] I think his other points about computer science entering a
> kind of creative plateau and suggesting biology as a new horizon for
> trail blazing are fresh views, too.

Hmm, this view is not that fresh. I recall reading about the 'genetics is
more exciting' view already some 10 years ago. Don't know if it was Ken
or someone else who said it at that time, and I can't recall whether it
was being compared to physics or computing.

Looking at it from a standpoint of what remains to be discovered, there is
some truth in generic engineering being more exciting. But genetics is so
capital-intensive that, as an individual, your chances of acting on your
new ideas would be fairly low. In that sense genetic engineering is like
the movie industry. In the same sense, web research is of course like the
advertising industry.

Koen.