ouch: Ken Thompson on Linux

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:23:33 -0400 (EDT)

John M. Klassa writes:

> Sounds like Ken doesn't think much of Linux...
>
> > My experience and some of my friends' experience is that Linux
> > is quite unreliable. Microsoft is really unreliable but Linux is
> > worse. In a non-PC environment, it just won't hold up. If you're
> > using it on a single box, that's one thing. But if you want to use
> > Linux in firewalls, gateways, embedded systems, and so on, it has a
> > long way to go.

Several weeks old --- he moderated his comments a bit when prompted by
Eric Raymond. ISTR that Dennis Ritchie posted something at about the
same time saying that *his* friends' experience had been entirely
positive, but I've lost the pointer. Searching for "Thompson" on
linuxtoday.com will get a few related articles, including the Raymond
clarification.

rst