RE: Forecasting the Future

Tim Byars (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 17:22:18 -0700

At 05:01 PM 6/7/99, Tom Whore wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Tim Byars wrote:
>--]
>--]Fry's moved a 8 foot high palate of recordable blank CD's over the
>--]weekend in their Anaheim store. Musicians are getting around $1.20 per
>--]album sold. Figure out who you're going to be listening to in 5 years.
>--]
>
>Sadly I think that no matter what the medium or the media the mass sheeple
>will be lead to the Ricky Martinez's by the record companies. In order for
>the things to truly change on a mass scale the masses are involved, and
>mostly the masses are happy if they are stroked and made to feel special.

Because the masses are just fuckin' stupid including people in this list. I
would venture to bet that at least 70% of the "favorite" music of people on
this list wouldn't even exist in the climate of todays record companies.

>Now having said that what i think is happening is something far more
>important than any nevau "lets make the world a better place" syndrome.
>Fuck giving peace a chance or saving humanity or any of the tripe and
>tired hippe era leftovers......
>
>"Lets make a better place for a world" Meaning DIY

Well for the most part any successful band has always done this. However
the difference is at some point the record company stepped in and signed them.

>Meaning back to haveing micro markets ( ala pre nirvana subpop and fact
>sheet five)
>
>Meaning who cares if the masses are buying into this years Menudo because
>i got my own shit to get into, including my very own stuff i make and
>places like mp3.com and all the thousands of folks with bits and pieces.
>
>Meaning that my brand name is called TOMWHORE and i get to be my own PR
>person and I get to be my own scout and I get to call my own shots about
>what Im listening to or watching or reading.
>
>Distrobution , not of scale, but on a scaled medium. Pump up the distro
>and let the niches decided for themsleves.
>
>Superstars not of millions but to hundereds

I would disagree with most of the above.

>Locality local Globality global
>
>As to Tom Dolby, Beatnick is doing what sort of bizness?:)-

I already told you my opinion of him.

>As to companys like A2B who seek to fit into the current dinosaur model of
>distro, please I hope you live in horrible contortions of market apathy.
>
>As to where its at... I got 2 inputs and an encoder
>
>(that was a good drum break)

Point is, who is actually thinking and developing a business plan for new
artists? Let's look at some names.

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Genesis
Metallica

I could go on but those will do. None of them would be signed in today's
marketplace. So where is the genius that is actually putting together the
business plan to sign and cultivate new artists? No where that I've seen.

The same can be said of publishers etc. To show you (again for about the
third time) how fuckin' clueless the record companies are, look at there
profits for the past 20 years. In the late 80's the went sky high. Why?
Because of Poison records? Not hardly it was because of people replacing
their vinal with CD. They could do the same again with mp3. But they are so
fuckin' buffaloed and scared being advised by all the clueless consultants
whose most artistic contribution to their life is figuring out if they
should wipe front to back or back to front.

FTW

Tim

--
I would never try to do production work on it;
That is like trying to perform brain surgery with garden tools.

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <> icq 3446996