Re: W3C NEWS: The World Wide Web Consortium Issues SMIL 1.0 [...]

Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:01:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Sally K wrote:
>The World Wide Web Consortium Issues SMIL 1.0 as a W3C Recommendation
>
>Cross-Industry Support for Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language,
>Bringing TV-Like Content to the Web
>
>[...testimonials, everything is rosy in SMIL-land...]

However someone is spoiling the party:
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19980615S0014

>W3C Steps Into Microsoft-RealNetworks Fight
>[...]
>Although Microsoft was a member of the W3C working
>group that developed SMIL, the company said it does not
>plan to base its NetShow steaming-media software
>around the new platform.
>
>[...]
>The standard's most prominent support so far has come
>from Seattle-based RealNetworks, which has made
>SMIL the foundation of its new G2 streaming-media
>software. The G2 system, available in a preview version,
>also is due in final form this summer.
>
>[...]
>The fight for market share between G2 and Microsoft's
>NetShow will determine the long-term viability of the
>SMIL standard. Early versions of the two multimedia
>players can read the other company's files, but the latest,
>most heavily hyped versions are moving apart.
>
>[...]

Oh well, gotta dash to install Linux on some more Alpha's we just
bought... apparently the machines "with Linux" are actually "without
anything else".

Rob.