Amazon Notifications.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:46:52 -0700

Imagine my shock when I realized that Amazon now provides
notification services:
> This will lead you to the account information page, where you can
> examine your orders. Here, you have the opportunity to change your
> e-mail address or your password, as well as check your subscriptions
> to our Personal Notification Services.

Poking around Amazon, I found

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/delivers/delivers-signup-books.html

and

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/delivers/delivers-signup-combo.html

which is a combination of recommendation/filtering a la Firefly

http://www.firefly.net/

and notifications via email like Outlook lets you do. Cool!

Certainly a scenario to consider for Internet-scale event
notification... so we have:
1. Presence updates (e.g., Ding! or ICQ)
2. Group relays (e.g., Chat or instant messaging)
3. Content pushes (e.g., sports scores or stock quotes or mailing lists)
4. Interapplication communications (e.g., document modifications)
5. Intraapplication communications (e.g., object RPCs)
6. Event traps for network management (e.g., "printer out of paper")
7. Periodic recommendations (e.g., personal notification services)

These applications can all make use of custom filtering, aggregation,
and forwarding services. Any other scenarios we're not considering?

I discovered this little notification scenario in the ack after buying
three Stereolab albums from Amazon because I'm too lazy to go to the
record store, as per a cool cat's recommendation. Note included below
for archival purposes.
-- Adam

> From orders@amazon.com Mon Jun 15 23:48:01 1998
> To: adam@cs.caltech.edu
> Subject: Your Order with Amazon.com (#002-9256111-4156863)
>
> Thank you for ordering from Amazon.com!
>
> Your order reads as follows:
>
> Ship to: Adam Rifkin
> Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way
> Building 9/1075
> Redmond
> WA
> 98052
>
> Tel: (425) 882-8080 X18540

> 1 copy of "Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements"
> Stereolab; Audio CD; @ $11.49 each
> (Available immediately)
> 1 copy of "Mars Audiac Quintet"
> Stereolab; Audio CD; @ $11.49 each
> (Available immediately)
> 1 copy of "Emperor Tomato Ketchup"
> Stereolab; Audio CD; @ $12.99 each
> (Available immediately)
>

> Will ship via: Standard Shipping (Averages 3-7 business days)
>
> Item(s) Subtotal: $ 35.97
> Shipping & Handling: $ 4.85
> Tax: $ 3.68
> -------
> TOTAL DUE: $ 44.50
>
> Please note that you can view the status of your account and your
> orders at any time through the "Your Account" link on the navigation
> bar. After selecting either our secure server or standard server,
> you'll be prompted to enter your e-mail address and password;
> then click on the button marked "Account Maintenance."
>
> This will lead you to the account information page, where you can
> examine your orders. Here, you have the opportunity to change your
> e-mail address or your password, as well as check your subscriptions
> to our Personal Notification Services.
>
> Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com!

> Amazon.com
> 2.5 million titles, consistently low prices.
> orders@amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

There are more books to read, more music to play, more words to write,
and more places to see...
-- Retirement Notification, Kenneth Ashworth, Texas Higher Education
Commissioner 21 Years