Re: New Redhat

Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:40:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> Regrettably, several rather nasty security holes were reported almost
> immediately; see the "RedHat errata update" entries from Monday and
> Tuesday at freshmeat.net.

What OS doesnt have holes to patch. Since the begining, from whence it all
begot, there have been pathces and fixes and what not following a os
update or realease.

But hang on folks...Its time for your favorite show and
mine...Rationilization Theaters...todays Episode...Non Mea Culpa

> Before our friends from Microsoft get too cocky about this, I'll make
> one point in mitigation: It's not fair to blame these particular
> flaws on the open source development model, simply because RedHat
> didn't develop this release in a really open way --- there was
> actually some surprise on, e.g., Slashdot when the release date was
> announced, because there had been no public betas, a break from
> RedHat's previous practice. And when an open release *was* made (a
> bit late, regrettably), the problems got diagnosed and fixed very
> quickly.

That you even had to feel the need to pad it with the top sentences is
tale enough of the state of things and the importance of doing, done and
dealing.

Like I said, what OS upgrade realese is ever perfect? They aint, Wont be
for as long as humans do this stuff (which may not be much longer but more
of that for a latter thread).