FW: You have mail.

Joseph S. Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:13:19 -0700

Of possible interest...
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-multics@oakland.edu [mailto:owner-multics@oakland.edu]On
Behalf Of Tom Van Vleck
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 1999 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: You have mail.

Arthur Evans Jr wrote:
> In article <37C49B64.5BA6E30B@mich.com>, "Vincent F. Scarafino"
> <vscarafi@mich.com> wrote:
>
> > I find it interesting that AOL is trying to lay claims to "You have
> > mail." I do believe Multics beat them to it by many years.
>
> Yes, and CTSS beat Multics at that by some years.

When you logged into CTSS, the privileged B-core program LOGIN
checked your home directory for the existence of several files
and printed a line for each that existed. You could get
YOU HAVE MAIL BOX
YOU HAVE URGENT MAIL
and a few others, I think, created by various daemons. These
features were present by 1966.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/