Re: Manhole cover beat Sputnik?

Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:09:57 -0700 (PDT)

There are different effects at stake here.

A manhole cover exposed to a nearby nuke won't melt entirely (similiar
experiments were made with suspended steel spheres which survived very
nicely), and will certainly experience a stiff acceleration.

In theory, it seems perfectly possible to launch an artillery shell
into space if using a small nuke for a driving charge, but this would
require a very specific geometry (i.e. conical shell and the Big Nuke
Berta) which does not seem to be present in this case.