Re: The new death penalty

Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endTECH.com)
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:09:20 -0700

My view is that estate taxes are simply recognized as the government
as a pot of money that the heir doesn't have 100% claim to. It's a completely
opportunistic money grab of funds that property that's already been
taxed many times over. It's the one true evil tax in the tax code.
$650k is nothing in California if you add up the average house and
retirement fund. $1M even pushes the barrier. Why shouldn't a parent
be able to provide for better opportunities for their children? The goal
of society and the country is to always leave it a little bit better
for the next generation, why not increase the opportunities instead of
making every generation start from a fixed amount? Heck, the 16th
amendment was a mistake that should be repealed. [1] Estate taxes are just
confiscatory.

Greg

[1] http://www.cats.org/articles/16hist.html