Re: Internet and privacy; US vs Europe

Manoj Kasichainula (manojk@io.com)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 17:56:56 -0500

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 10:17:27AM +0200, Sandor Spruit wrote:
> How concerned are people in the US about "Big Brother" issues ? If I
> recall this correctly, there's a dispute between the US and the European
> Union about privacy legislation. On the one hand, it looks as though you
> Americans are far more open about things like salaries, financial
> information. One the other hand, privacy does seem to be an issue (EFF,
> FBI, clipper chips, encryption ..).

There is a definitely a vocal bunch that are very interested in
maintaining privacy protections, but how the public as a whole feels
is less clear. My guess is the people as a whole just aren't aware
enough to have an opinion. I'd like to see a study done where the
participants are asked how much money they would want to voluntarily
give up various bits of personal info. Perhaps something like FreePC
launched on a more massive scale would tell us, also.

But it's probably not sound to look at how the U.S. government views
privacy and extrapolate that to the U.S. population as a whole.

"Gravity is a harsh mistress." - The Tick