Re: Beggars in Spain

Ian Andrew Bell (ibell@cisco.com)
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 02:16:05 -0700

--------------36BA7F1559DFD377930DAE9E

Jeff Bone wrote:

> > Ok, so clearly to assume that this is a direct link is stupid.
> > Spending more on crime & punishment is just masking a
> > greater problem that I would are is created by the very
> > same inequities you seem to think are just fine by you.
> > And that is the point entirely.
>
> Okay, I'll be stupid. Huh? Is there an argument here, or am I just
> missing it because of parse errors?

Input errors. Try:

> > Spending more on crime & punishment is just masking a
> > greater problem that I would argue is created by the very
> > same inequities you seem to think are just fine by you.
> > And that is the point entirely.

Translation:

Of course putting cops at the bottom end of the pipeline is a vastly
inefficient method of improving quality of life. But simply not spending
money on them is stupid. The luxury of gradually reducing jail space and
cops is only gained when the crime rate drops dramatically -- and the only
way you're going to affect that is to tackle the root causes of crime.

My argument is that the root causes of crime are also the dividends of vast
socioeconomic inequities. Give people care, education, safety, and most
of all.. HOPE. All things are NOT equal in America. Only by restabilizing
growth can you create enough "good neighbourhoods" and a healthy environment
for nurturing development. That means robbing the rich to give to the poor.

I'm simply driving it home to you, Jeff, that despite your shiny vantage
point
these things DO affect you.

-Ian.
.:|:..:|:.
--------------36BA7F1559DFD377930DAE9E

begin:vcard
n:Bell;Ian
tel;pager:(800) 365-4578
tel;cell:(408) 921-4873
tel;fax:(781) 685-5915
tel;home:(408) 564-2523
tel;work:(408) 525-8630
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cisco.com
org:Cisco Systems - Service Provider LOB;Packet Telephony Division
version:2.1
email;internet:ibell@cisco.com
title:Solutions Manager
adr;quoted-printable:version:2.1;;Building SJ-6/4=0D=0A375 East Tasman Drive ;San Jose;CA;95134;USA
note;quoted-printable:AOL Instant Messenger ID: ibell SJ=0D=0A=0D=0A
x-mozilla-cpt:;-8400
fn:Ian Andrew Bell
end:vcard

--------------36BA7F1559DFD377930DAE9E--