Re: [FoRKcon] SoCal: Tonight @ Sid's, 8PM Newport Beach

Ron Resnick (rresnick@dialogosweb.com)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 02:19:47 -0400

Whetgrrl@aol.com wrote:

> Oh, Ron,
>
> 1) It's WHETgrrl
>
> 2) I sign my posts "Geege" - which, non-conspiratorily, is my NAME
>
> 3) I promise not to rend the cosmic t-shirt

a) The Public/Private thing.
That had been an offline email. (For edification of all the rest
of you, It was originally targetted
to Rohit&Geege only). It's now archived on FoRK,
for the world to see, which hadn't been my choice.
Then again, there's nothing there
I'm terribly sensitive about - I stand by it all, esp.
the Sholom Aleichem part. Maybe "The Wise Men of Chelm"
can be revised and made gen-x hip as "The Wise Men/Women/Others
of FoRK"?

Geege, you might want to consider
the implications of forwarding others' bits on for them -
it's a subject that's received some not insignificant attention
on this list - check archives. Then again, _I_ might want to
consider what sort of privacy to expect when sending my mail
to perfect strangers. Let's call it a draw :).

b) The banditry continues. Your latest post, this very
one I'm responding to, is now in the archive as
http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/july98/0185.html
bearing the name Paul Benninghoff. Poor Paul did nothing
more dastardly than muse a bit about the boredom of databases and why
declarative XML and declarative IDL is really nothing more
than a rehash of the declarative SQL we've had
for decades. Now, Paul is indelibly (unless Rohit takes
action quickly!) bound to your inpronounceable moniker:

> Paul Benninghoff (Whetgrrl@aol.com)
> Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:12:39 EDT

This is most unfair to both him and you, I'd suggest.

The trouble seems to be in your From: line - mail header shows:
> From: Whetgrrl@aol.com
> MMDF-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line
> at paris.ics.uci.edu

You should fix this.
Since you use AOL as your mail client:

I can't tell you exactly how to do this, never having gone
near an AOL mailer, and not wanting to. But there should be
a straightforward way for you to to add your name so that
it gets inserted on your From header. "Add preferences",
"Configure Mail Options", or some such.

Tchau,
Ron